Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2014

Getting the grade

2 Days ago I entered the classroom of my friend and former teacher, Rachel Shuck. I was visiting so that she could proof read my Spanish paper as she has all of my Spanish papers for the past 4 years. And you know what? 
She told me that my writing has gotten good and that she can really see improvement. 
And right then, I decided that I could not care less about what my professor says about this paper. 
I can guarantee that he will rip it to pieces. 
But that doesn't matter. 
Because the person whose Spanish 1 class I sat in nearly 8 years ago told me that she can see my writing improving each time she reads my papers. 
And that's what matters to me. 
Because that means I'm learning. 
That means my knowledge of the language I love is ever improving.

And this pretty much sums up my feelings about grades in general. 

I sometimes say that ruining my GPA was the best thing for me because I realized that the 4.0 cumulative would ever happen again after that. Since then, I'm content to learn and d my best but not kill myself for an A.

I've been thinking about grades quite a bit lately thanks to an education class I had this semester and I'm over it. I think that grades give kids the wrong motivation in school and that they are totally overrated. 

That being said, I'm very interested to find out what other people think about this. So tell me what you think...do we need grades? Are they helpful or harmful? Why do you think this?
Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment