Pages

Thursday, May 30, 2013

LiveSTRONG

So...let's talk about being healthy. First of all, let me say that I do not buy into this whole idea that you have to be skinny to be pretty or that you should always be on diets or that you need to try the newest fad workout or whatever. What I do believe is that health is the goal and that takes lifelong commitment and hard work, but it's totally worth it.
So story time: picture 15ish year old me...if you knew me, cool story. If not, I'll paint you a picture...I was unhealthy, very unhealthy. But I didn't care. I didn't think any less of my self because I was bigger than most of the girls at school, that was just the way I was. Sure I couldn't pass the mile test in gym, but who cares about that in real life anyway? But then lots of things happened that were very hard for my 15 year old brain to process...and things got pretty dark for quite some time. At some point I heard that working out can stave off depression. So I got a membership to the YMCA and that was a ginormous turning point in my life. I made a point to be at the gym almost every day. When I realized I really didn't know what I was doing at the gym, I decided to join a group fitness class...but I was really nervous to go so Rachel Shuck graciously went with me that first morning. 
All of that became so much more pretty quickly...I was running 5K races, working out regularly, seeking workout advice, etc. And then I decided that if I was going to work so hard, I shouldn't let what I was eating negate all of my work. So I started learning about eating right. Rach taught me so much about eating right and how food affect our bodies etc, it was awesome. I went from hating salad to suddenly being a health fanatic. After all was said and done, I lost quite a few pounds (about 50 I believe) and felt really good!
Which was awesome but looking back, I think I made a little too much of it. I was too hard on myself if I missed a workout, had a "bad" run, or ate something bad for me. And that's not a positive way to approach things. When you approach it that way, you can get discouraged really easily and think that it's all for naught because the goal's too big to ever meet...and then you give up and slip back into your old habits of being lazy and eating crappy food because that's easier. But that eventually gets to you and your body ends up screaming for you to take care of it.
Which is kind of the point I think I find myself at right now...not all the way back at start, but not anywhere near where my hard work got me. And today I said that's enough. I completely overhauled my entire kitchen, throwing out all the crap and making sure I'll always have healthy options to snack on, cook, make for lunch, etc. I hit the gym again, it wasn't easy but it felt great to have all those endorphins pumping again. And I'm determined to really make a change again, a forever change. I'm worth the time and effort to keep myself healthy. 

Soooo, why am I telling you this? Mostly because all of this brought up lots of thoughts today that I think are really important things to discuss...
  • I wish that girls didn't try so hard to be "skinny" for the sake of other people.
  • I wish I could explain to everyone how loved, important, and worthwhile they are, no matter their size.
  • I also wish that I always remembered these things about myself.
  • Sometimes you have to realize that if you really love yourself, you've got to take time to take care of your health...it's something you do for you, no one else. You are most motivated when it is something you truly want and value.
  • Chocolate cake occasionally won't kill you and you deserve to splurge sometimes.
  • A "bad" workout or run is still better than sitting on your butt.
  • I am eternally grateful for Rachel Shuck's help in helping me get healthy over the years...and I feel a little like I let her down when I started slacking off and being a bum/ eating crappy again
  • Health and fitness truly is a lifelong journey. You can't just stop and assume you're where you want to be because you won't stay there for long.
  • Aren't our bodies super cool?!? Think about everything they do for us and how perfectly they function if we just take care of them.
  • What a great way to tell God thank you for this amazing life he gave us...it's like you're saying, "Hey God, thanks for this awesome body and life you gave me! I'll be sure to take care it because it's super special and important to me!"
  • While being in the gym, or running or whatever may take time away that I could be spending with people, it is necessary. I can't give of myself to others if I don't take that time out to restore myself and keep everything in working order.
And here's to picking up this journey again and becoming the best me I can be. Here's to showing God how cool I think His handiwork is by honoring it and taking care of it. Here's to me time and how that will make me better at time with others. Here's to living and living strong because we are all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment